Monday, April 06, 2020

New Normal Diary 1 #Coronalife

With so many feelings swirling in my head all day and unfortunately all night as well, I need an outlet! My last post in this blog was years ago. So I’m going to try to catch up a little from my social distancing/self quarantine/home confinement and then do a daily blog. Here goes...

Day 1 (Saturday, March 14th)
After spending much the end of this week with with my son, daughter-in-law and grandson who had traveled here for a swim meet that didn’t happen, I hugged them goodbye and decided to just stay in the rest of the day. We had been at the swimming facility the day before and had gone to lunch. There was a little feeling or normalcy in an otherwise weird day. I presumed I could just run my errands the following day after church. There was a lot of back and forth emailing with my Gal Pal group of 10 regarding the inevitable  cancellation of our spring trip. I received notices that choir and church were being cancelled for the following day. At the time I didn’t realize this was Day 1. πŸ™
Sleep: 5 hrs 27 minutes
Exercise: 64.01 minutes

Day 2
Our pastor quickly pulled together some music, scripture and sermon from some past services for a broadcast at our usual church time on Sunday morning. Watching online with my church family gave me a little sense of community and peace if only for an hour. My sister FaceTimed me for the first time ever (typically an activity we only do with our grandkids) to see if I looked as scroungy as she did...the answer was a resounding YES! 😳
Sleep: 6 hrs
Exercise: 82 minutes


Day 3
After much agonizing I keep my 8 am appointment with my trainer at the gym. I’m trying to find a way to make good use of this time but find it hard to concentrate on a book or tv show and I’m unmotivated to do household chores. So I gather my information for my income taxes assuming that my Wednesday appointment with the accountant will still happen. I elect to skip my evening Zumba class since it’s usually crowded. My daughter-in-law sends me her user name and password for her online dance fitness subscription...a Godsend! I have of leftovers from having family here last week. It’s becoming monotonous to eat the same leftovers for consecutive days however. At least it wasn’t urgent to go to the grocery store! I reach out to an organization I belong to and suggest we communicate daily by responding to an assignment each day. We started with book recommendations. My friends and I decide we should cancel our tap dance class for Tuesday morning. 😒
Sleep: 5 hrs 50 minutes
Exercise: 121 minutes

Day 4
I’m talking to myself and the cats more and continuing to get my tax information together. My printer has stopped communicating with my computer. This problem would typically be solved with a house call from my son, my personal Apple genius, but I sigh and go online for help. Two hours later it’s working. I’m starting to see a pattern in how I deal with anxiety...exercising (or perhaps over exercising) more! And no a great sleeper anyway, but I’m sleeping less! Met a friend to walk outside in the rain...desperate times call for desperate measures...I’d rather have some human interaction even if it means being cold and wet! πŸ’ͺ🏻
Sleep: 5 hrs 13 minutes
Exercise: 143 minutes

Day 5
Took my tax information to the accountant’s office. They are offering curbside service. Indulge myself with a Starbucks (I consider matcha green tea latte a health food) and drop one off to my son who works in healthcare and has been swamped. The exchange is in the parking lot of his office. We stay 6 feet apart. I want to cry. Later I indulge myself when I listen to my nephew playing hymns on the organ of his empty church. I sob! 😭
Sleep: 4 hrs 43 minutes
Exercise: 99 minutes

Day 6
I look out my window and see an array of empty trash cans. I had only one job for today...take the trash to the curb...and I totally blew it! More and more time in my pjs. Long walk at the trail with a friend. Also walked later with my another friend. Trying to stay positive...praying meditating...but my mind races! πŸ˜”
Sleep: 4 hrs 37 minutes
Exercise: 153 minutes (Holy crap...that’s over 2 1/2 hours!)

Day 7
My laundry today consisted of socks, underwear, pjs, yoga pants and t-shirts...not a single piece of real clothes!
Get busy/Stay healthy
Get busy/Stay healthy
Get busy/Stay healthy
Sleep: 4 hrs 56 minutes
Exercise: 90 minutes

Day 8
An absolute highlight...playing a game via FaceTime with Adam, Kelly and the kids...and sharing lots of laughs! One of my sons was MIA via text and phone for a couple of hours. I lost it and let my anxiety overtake me for a bit. He’s fine and was playing a video game with his son. πŸ˜‚
Sleep: 4 hrs 46 minutes
Exercise: 90 minutes

Day 9
Sunday service online again and “God of the Sparrow” hymn made me cry, but it was so beautiful and meaningful! Sunshine!!! Walking outside with a neighborhood friend and seeing others out walking too is magnificent! I do find some joy in how innovative and adaptable we are becoming. Living with only my kittens, I don’t feel too alone since friends and family are never digitally far away. Social isolation is definitely not for me however!  πŸ™πŸ»πŸ˜Ž
Sleep: 5 hrs 51 minutes
Exercise: 107 minutes

Day 10
Holy crap! I’m starting to realize how long we may need to do this as they are in talks to postpone the Olympics. The state is shut down to all but essential businesses. Fortunately the liquor store at the BFS will remain open. My happy hour is extending way beyond an hour these days! 🍷πŸ₯‚πŸΈπŸΉπŸ»
Sleep: 4 hrs 34 minutes
Exercise: 77 minutes

Day 11
I’m excited about remembering to take out my recycling and appalled that this is what I now consider an actual accomplishment. My disposal clogs up with spinach, and I have standing water in both sinks! I google and try the home remedy of baking soda and vinegar multiple times to no avail. I purchase Liquid Plummer Max...doesn’t help at all. I confine the kittens and take a picture of the pipe configuration under my sink before taking the entire thing apart. I clean it out and reassemble the pipe system. Three hours later I run the dishwasher with cautious optimism...it works! In the process I become really pissy though. My tolerance level is pretty much zero. Treat myself to a glass of wine  after patting myself on the back. 🍷
Sleep: 4 hours 59 minutes
Exercise: 184 minutes (OMG over 3 hours!)

Day 12
If I’d adjust my sleep goal to 4 1/2 hours I wouldn’t be so disappointed every morning. I don’t sleep well anyway as a rule, but this is ridiculous! 11:30 am and still in pajamas. I’m going to make a bold move, put some clothes on and attempt to accomplish something. Don’t get dressed till 2 pm...totally hit a wall today. A FaceTime from grandson, Ethan, playing guitar (he’s learned during the quarantine) and later from granddaughter, Cara, who is talking friends, fashion & and showing off 4 consecutive back handsprings provide a much needed connection. So does a late day walk with a friend and a check in with my son in a Ohio. Started Schitt’s Creek on Netflix for a humorous distraction. I’ve learned today of people I know who have the disease and my niece someone has been exposed by a coworker who tested positive. Prayers, prayers, prayers! Dealing with the sacrifice of this is one thing; dealing with the fear is something else entirely. 😰
Sleep: 5 hrs 2 minutes
Exercise: 121 minutes




No comments: